Close this search box.

How do I appeal my county valuation?

If you believe the county’s value does not reflect the fair market value of your property on January 1, you should appeal. The appeals process is an opportunity to review a property in more detail. We all want values to be accurate so we have a fair basis for sharing the cost of local services. You are welcome to request information about how your property was valued from the county appraiser’s office in order to determine whether you should appeal.

Taxpayers can formally appeal their value one time per year, and have the opportunity to file the appeal up to two (2) times per year. 

Taxpayers can appeal their value:

Within 30 days from the date the county mailed the change of value notice in March

To file equalization appeal contact County Appraisers Office

When you pay your taxes.  This is called a Payment Under Protest.  You can either pay under protest when the first half is paid, when the second half is paid, or when the taxes are paid in full.  If your taxes are paid in full by an escrow or tax service agent on or before December 20, you have until January 31 of the next year to file the payment under protest. 

Fill out the Payment Under Protest Appeal Form in Treasurers Office when paying taxes