Close this search box.

Kansas Homestead Tax Refund Preparation


120 East Chesnut
P.O. Box 278
Troy, KS 66087


Accounts Payable Clerk
Deputy County Clerk
County Clerk

Kansas Homestead Tax Refund Preparation

The Homestead Refund Program (K-40H) is for homeowners who were residents of Kansas for ALL of 2013. As a resident the entire year, you are eligible if your total household income is $32,900 or less and you:

  • were born before January 1, 1958, or
  • were blind or totally and permanently disabled all of 2013, or
  • have a dependent child who lived with you the entire year who was born before January 1, 2013 and was under the age 18 all of 2013.

The County Clerk’s Office can assist you in completing your claim. What you need to provide:

  • Total Household Income figures (wages, Social Security Benefits, pensions, interest, etc.)
  • Property Tax Statement
  • If Disabled, must have Social Security Benefit Verification Statement or Schedule DIS
  • Claim file dates are from January 1 to April 15

Important: A person owning or occupying a homestead with an appraised valuation for property tax purposes that exceeds $350,000 does NOT qualify for a homestead refund.


Effective January 1, 2013, Renters will no longer be able to submit a Homestead Property Tax Refund Claim to the Kansas Department of Revenue. If you are the homeowner of a mobile or manufactured home and rent the land it sits on, you can still submit a claim on the home. You won’t be able to claim any portion of the rent you paid on the land.